A part of Lake Furen is designated as a Ramsar site. It is located at the
base of Nemuro peninsula, about 2 hours drive east of Kushiro. It is a
shallow brackish lake with extensive mudflats. Lake Furen is an important
staging ground for migratory water birds.
Notsuke Peninsula is a large sandspit formed over thousands of years. The
shallow bay between the peninsula and the mainland is designated as a Ramsar
Notsuke Peninsula is an important staging ground for shorebirds and brant (a small goose).
- Kiritappu Wetland Center. 2017. http://kiritappu.mond.jp/center/kiritappu_guide.html (in Japanese)
- Kurita, M. & Kondo, N. 2008. Nature Guide: Notsuke, Furen, and Nemuro,
Revised edition (in Japanese). Hokkaido Shinbun, Sapporo, Hokkaido.
- Ministry of the Environment (Japan). 2016. https://www.env.go.jp/park/kushiro/intro/outline.html (in Japanese)
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism 2006. http://www.mlit.go.jp/river/shinngikai_blog/shaseishin/kasenbunkakai/ shouiinkai/kihonhoushin/060711/pdf/ref5-1.pdf (in Japanese)
- Sugisawa, T. 2000. Kushiro Wetland (in Japanese). Hokkaido Shinbun, Sapporo, Hokkaido.